THE BOSS'S STORY-Meet The CEO SLAM Initiative

Ngozi Marion Emmanuel, is a Lecturer and a Researcher at the department of mass communication, with Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka and the CEO of SLAM Initiative Nigeria, a non-governmental organization. This is her STORY on how she started the SLAM INITIATIVE and how she has been able to sustain it.

How I Began.
I started SLAM in my third year of University out of the growing need that I saw in young people. So, I thought to myself that young people need direction and also need to be gainfully occupied with community building and positive leadership. SLAM is an acronym for Smart Leaders Are Made and it was registered with the CAC in 2010. Ever since then, the initiative has been involved in several community development projects especially targeted at youths and younger adults in Secondary Schools.

How I Deal With Challenges.
Well, there is no worthwhile venture devoid of challenges. SLAM has its ups and downs. I mean times when we were down to nothing and it was tough getting partnerships. But all in all, the great courage we have was an unflagging faith in the potency of what we are doing and the fact that we are making impact keeps us going. So we never give up. Maybe we can be down for a day, a week, or a month but we always pick up thereafter because the vision is clearly greater than anyone of us. So, how do we deal with challenges at SLAM? By simply believing that “this too will pass!”

*My Driving Force.
I like to make an impact in the world – a positive impact and once I’m achieving that, I’m happy. I’m fulfilled. I believe strongly that youth is not wasted on the young and that young people can be responsible and diligent if positively challenged. This is what keeps me going – a hope for a better world for young people like myself. 

*My "Global" Plan For SLAM.  
SLAM has already gone pan-African. At the last awards we held in 2016, we had applications from several African countries – young people with very impressive resumes and I’m excited. So, yes! That is the vision, to make this voice heard all over the world. When we achieve that, by first taking in Africa, then it’s a feat.

*My Advice. 
My word to young people has always been “Stay at it". If you are convinced about it, and it is from your heart, keep at it. Even while it seems it’s not working right, don’t faint yet. Someday, whatever obstacle it is will cave in. Again, hard work pays; it doesn’t kill. Be dedicated and keep your big picture intact. When you do all these, plus an unfailing faith in God, you are bound for the top. So, congratulations in advance. 

Tips:
1) Put in a lot of hard work into your career or business, it pays.
2)  Obstacles are certain, but always believe that "this too Will pass".
3) Dream big- there's no limitation to what you can achieve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy Who Was Not

When STAYING TOGETHER Matters: How To Make It Work.

The Shadow Encounter