The BOSS'S STORY: Meet The Fastest Growing CEO From the South East Zone.

After almost a week hunt, we successfully got the package. Hostzine presents "The Boss's Story" It reveals the fastest growing CEOs, with an international perspective. They are very young and vibrant entrepreneurs in Nigeria, who understand the twists and hussle of the business world and are READY to share their story. Learn some TIPS and begin your own journey into the world's finest CEOs. The BOSS'S STORY is exclusive on this blog. 

The CEO of CHENKOWEARS, Alexander O. Udensi shares his Story.


*My Beginning
"I started off quite smoothly because it has always been my passion. It wasn't something I was pushed into. I studied chemical engineering at the Institute of Management of Science and Technology, Enugu state Nigeria, but I have always been a “shoe guy”. I remember as a child, wearing my dad’s shoe on many occasions and everyone would usually laugh at me. But I didn’t care; of course I didn’t even know why they laughed. I was serious then and now it’s all beginning to make sense to me. I followed my passion and I started learning how to make shoes from the scratch. My friend in Aba was willing to train me and luckily, I didn’t have to pay so much because he was my friend. I spent a year with him before I could then stand on my own. The first time I wore a shoe I made, people liked it a lot and were amazed when I told them I made it myself. From then, CHENKOWEARS was born. I started making shoes for friends and relatives on request and they helped to further advertise my products on social media platforms".


*My Driving Force
"Like I said earlier, I went into shoe making because it is my passion. Without it, I feel like I am empty, like I need to do more. The love I have for what I do and the hunger to be something more, other than the ordinary , have been my driving force".


* How I Deal with Competitors
"One of the mistakes people make in business is seeing themselves as competitors. You don’t have to erase the fact that there are other people out there doing the same thing you are doing, but you can focus more on making yours the best and you can’t always achieve that if you keep looking sideways. Take for instance, an athlete on a race, if he doesn’t focus; if he keeps looking over his shoulders every time, he might lose the race. That's how it works in the business world. Invest more time into your business and less on competition. That is my philosophy".

*My challenges and How I Overcome Them
"I have encountered a lot of obstacles in this business. First, when I started the shoe business, I was still in college. It was difficult to combine school and work because both needed my attention. I didn't want to mess up in my academics and I wasn't also ready to give up my passion. So I decided to mellow down on the business while in school, and give more attention to my studies. The plan was to face the business fully as soon as I graduated and that worked for me. 


Secondly, when I first started, it was a little bit difficult to understand what some of my customers needed. Some would explain clearly, some would not. So I learnt to pay more attention to them in other to understand what the really want.
Sometimes it would involve giving them a pen and a paper to write them down or allow them show me some pictures for better illustration. That helped a lot.

Also, at some point, the prices of goods in Nigeria became expensive. The raw materials I use became overly costly. So I had to device a means to cut down on the number of some materials I use, searched for quality but affordable materials, and also let my customers know the cost of materials have increased, so prices of the shoes I made can't remain the same. The challenges always come around but you have to find a way to keep going".

*My Advice
I have three words for you " Change The Rules". You can't keep pressing the same button and expecting a different result. It's a different world out here and it requires you to change your mindset. If you must survive in the business world, find a niche. You don't have to follow the rules, make your own, turn it upside down because it's all about what makes you spectacular. That's what will convince your target customers and give you a passage into the global market.

TIPS
* Do what you love; follow your passion. That will be your driving force.
* Focus on giving your business the best.
* Keep a positive approach to obstacles.
* Find a niche; something that differentiates you from the rest of the world. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy Who Was Not

When STAYING TOGETHER Matters: How To Make It Work.

The Shadow Encounter